Most people do not understand the importance of postural health. However, deciding to have good posture is as important a health decision as deciding to exercise, have a good diet, etc.
Poor posture is often the root cause of chronic aches and pain. When your posture is bad, your body starts to compensate, forcing it to take on an even worse posture.
Common causes of poor posture include:
1) Long hours in front of computer – this is the most common cause in our modern times. Unfortunately, institutions often do not provide adequate, nor the correct types of furniture to accommodate long hours of desk bound work. It is therefore up to the individual, yourself, to ensure that your health does not decline in your professional pursuits.
2) Common in tall people – Tall people often slouch in other to blend in better with their shorter peers. Over time, this becomes a habit that is difficult to correct and soon enough, it becomes a permanent posture.
Problems arising from poor posture include:
• Poor body image
• Back neck, shoulder and aches
• Knee and hip pain
1) Thoracic mobilisation with foam roller to increase thoracic spine extension
2) Strengthening of upper back by doing face pulls
3) Soft tissue release of chest muscles or do chest stretching
4) Tissue release of trapezius muscles using a thera cane and stretch
5) Brace for posture
Upper back and shoulder posture braces are perfect for the provision of postural support and feedback during the initial stages of postural retraining. One major problem that these postural braces help to rectify is the poor awareness associated with longstanding postural habits.
Wearing a posture brace for just a few hours a day can assist your body to understand the feeling associated with normal posture.
Example of poor posture:
If need be, set an hourly timer to remind yourself to walk around. Or drink plenty of water before the start of your day so that you are forced to leave your desk for the toilet!
Remember, early detection is key to correcting poor posture and getting the right personal trainer with such knowledge will be helpful – Start today.